Acorn was founded by Jack Bernstein in 1946, after moving to Los Angeles from Chicago, where he was active in the packaging business in the late 1930s. The company was started by selling job lot (over-run) boxes with 5 employees in a 11,000 square foot warehouse.
Acorn is now a fourth generation family-owned business. The company became multi-generational when Jack’s son in laws, Max Weissberg and Dick Seff, entered the business in 1970. The third generation entered the business a few years later, David Weissberg started in 1982 and Randy Seff started in 1995. The fourth generation, Jake Weissberg, entered the business in 2013.
Acorn’s core values of People, Legacy, Solutions, and Growth have been instilled in our organization since inception. Based on these teachings we like to think of our customers as an extension of our Acorn family, and in turn we hope that our customers think of us as an extension of their respective teams. Many packaging companies come and go, but our longevity as a partner, not a supplier, speaks for itself.
It has been very important for us to keep Acorn as a family owned and operated business and hope we can continue for many more generations to come.
Our Los Angeles warehouse in now just one of our many locations. They now include:
- Corporate headquarters and the main distribution facility in Los Angeles, California.
- Sales office and distribution warehouse in Vacaville, California.
- Sales office and distribution warehouse in Dallas, Texas
- Sales office and distribution warehouse in San Luis Obispo
- Sales office and distribution warehouse in Miami, Florida
- Manufacturing locations in Santa Fe Springs and Cerritos, California under the McKinley Packaging brand.
- Molded Pulp Manufacturing in Reno, Nevada
From our humble beginning of 5 just employees and 11,000 square feet of warehouse space Acorn has now grown to a staff of over 250 employees and over 1,000,000 square feet of warehouse space.